You’re just done baking a fresh batch of croissants and sit down to rest, only to find your dog staring at you with his puppy eyes. It is normal to want to toss a few pieces to your pup. The buttery and flaky treats are irresistible, even to our furry friends!
But does that mean it’s safe for your dog to eat them? Does it benefit your pup in any way, or are they just harmful?
Start reading, and let us answer all your questions about dogs and croissants!
Is it safe to feed your pup croissant?
Croissants aren’t directly toxic to your pup; however, it is best to avoid giving them to your dog as they contain potentially harmful ingredients.
It is made using flour, butter, water, yeast, and sugar, and these could be unhealthy for your pup and cause health problems.
If you are giving your dog croissants, give them plain ones in moderate amounts, rarely. Ingredients like chocolate, raisins, and almonds are harmful, so avoid giving croissants containing those to your pup. Moreover, consuming many croissants can lead to your pup having stomach issues and diarrhea, so it is crucial to feed them moderately.
Why aren’t croissants safe for dogs?
Croissants mainly contain flour, water, salt, sugar, butter, and yeast. If the flour used isn’t wheat flour, it could give your dog stomach issues. Some dogs have wheat allergies, and the wheat flour consumption will cause them distress.
In addition to this, the butter has a high-fat content which is harmful to dogs, and 50gms of croissant contains 6gms of saturated fat. Daily consumption of this can lead to health issues like obesity, gastrointestinal or heart issues, and in some cases, pancreatitis.
Croissants consist of salt and sugar, and a diet with high sodium content can lead to various health problems like heart and kidney issues. A risk of salt poisoning is present, and if not treated quickly, it can become fatal. Consuming high sugar levels can cause diabetes, tooth problems, and obesity, so it is best not to feed your pup croissants.
If you buy croissants from the store, they can contain ingredients like xylitol, raisins, or almonds. These ingredients can cause poisoning and serious health problems in your dog, so avoid giving them croissants unless you’re sure they’re safe.
What are the risks of giving my pup a croissant?
If your dog ate a significant amount of croissants, your dog’s health might be at risk. The high fat and dairy content could irritate your pup’s stomach and cause weight gain or even pancreatitis. According to the quantity consumed, your dog could suffer from vomiting to organ failure.
Some symptoms of pancreatitis in dogs are:
- Loss of appetite
Since some dogs are lactose intolerant, and croissants contain butter, it can cause stomach problems. If your dog consumes croissants, it could become lethargic and sometimes experience a heart attack. In addition to this, there is also a risk of alcohol poisoning as when the dough rises, it releases alcohol along with gas.
Your dog may develop cavities and dental problems due to the amount of glucose present in croissants. Certain ingredients present in croissants like almonds can cause allergic reactions.
Symptoms of food allergy include:
- Teary eyes
- Itchy skin
- Difficulty breathing
There could be extremely serious consequences if your pup consumes croissants. For example, some croissants contain chocolate or xylitol, and these ingredients could poison your pup’s body and damage their brain and nervous system. Your dog could experience hyperactivity, increased heart rate, and even seizures in some cases.
Why you should avoid giving your dog croissants?
Some croissants contain ingredients that could be toxic and cause various health problems in dogs. A few of these ingredients are:
Usually made from sugar, honey, or almond extract, marzipan is sometimes used to fill croissants. Excess of this can cause gastrointestinal issues in dogs.
Some croissant recipes include xylitol, which is extremely harmful to dogs. It can cause seizures, collapse, and even death in some cases.
It is very common to include chocolate in croissants. However, chocolate is toxic to dogs and can affect their heart and nerves. There is also a risk of your pup getting chocolate poisoning.
Treats to give your pup instead of croissants
There are many treats available that can be made using safe and dog-friendly ingredients.
Some of them are:
- Peanut butter cakes
- Pumpkin cookies
- Banana pudding
- Fruit popsicles
- Apple & Oatmeal cookies
- Yogurt and berries
How can I stop my dogs from eating croissants?
Keep your croissants out of your pup’s reach. The high-fat content and other ingredients could be dangerous to your pup. It is advised to give your pup a scrap or two rarely if it’s hard to give none at all.
1. What should I do if my pup eats a chocolate croissant?
It is advised to consult a vet if a 10-pound dog consumes 1.5 ounces of chocolate. Dark chocolate and baking chocolate are extremely harmful, and avoid giving these to your pup. Factors such as your dog’s weight and the quantity of chocolate present in the croissant determine how dangerous it is.
2. Is a ham and cheese croissant harmful to my dog?
These croissants could contain ingredients like garlic or onions, which are toxic to dogs. Giving even a few pieces of this croissant to your pup could lead it vomiting or stomach issues, so avoid giving it to them.
3. What happens if my dog eats an almond croissant?
If your dog consumes a lot of almonds, it could clog its organs and make it difficult to breathe. As a result, choking or an allergic reaction can take place. Dogs and puppies with small throats and intestines are more prone to harm, so avoid feeding them almond croissants.
The ingredients present in it, like sugar, butter, and salt, can cause health issues in your dog. Moreover, some croissants contain harmful contents like xylitol, chocolate, almonds, raisins, etc., which could be life-threatening. Though not toxic, it is best if you avoid giving your pup croissants.
If you see any signs of distress, an allergic reaction, or poisoning, immediately consult a vet. Feed your pup healthy and safe treats like fruit popsicles, pumpkin cookies, peanut butter cookies, etc.
Try to avoid giving your pup croissants as much as possible, but if they consume it, as long as it’s in small quantities, it is not life-threatening. In case of any allergy, take your pup to the vet.
We hope you reached all the answers you were seeking, and do let us know your thoughts below! Thanks for reading!
Dr. Aram Baker has been with Santa Clarita Animal Hospital since 1995 and his special interests include behaviour medicine and dermatology. He graduated from the Cleveland Humanities Magnet Program in Reseda, CA and attended California State University at Northridge where he received a Bachelor’s degree in biology. He went on to pursue his Doctorate in Veterinary Medicine at the University of California at Davis. He also spent time in the zoological medicine department at U.C. Davis during his Junior and Senior years. He is dedicated to caring for all pets big or small, young or old with compassion, patience, kindness, and love.